Canada’s Building Trades Unions (CBTU) is seeking an original union song or poem that celebrates Canadian tradesmen and tradeswomen, to be performed at the unveiling of the Canadian Building Trades Monument in Ottawa on May 17, 2017.
The writer/composer of the successful submission will receive a $5,000 prize and will be invited to present their poem or song in Ottawa at the unveiling ceremony.
Ready to submit your poem or song? CLICK HERE. Or find out more below.
How to Enter
The deadline for submitting your song or poem is April 25, 2017.
All submitted songs and poems must:
- Celebrate the experiences and contributions of members of the Canadian building trades
- Be no longer than 5 minutes
- Be suitable for live performance by a small ensemble or a solo artist
- Be an original composition
- Include the title of the monument: “Standing Together” / “Solidaires”
- Be in either official language or bilingual/multilingual
- Be inclusive
The creator of the winning selection will:
- Receive a cash prize of $5,000
- Be invited to Ottawa to perform the song/poem at the unveiling ceremony of the Canadian Building Trades Monument (travel, accommodation, per diem provided)
- Receive national promotion as part of the ceremony
- Be fully credited as the performer/composer in an accompanying music video to be produced and promoted by CBTU and included on CBTU’s YouTube channel
Eligibility for this call is limited to individuals who are:
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents; and
- Members of one of CBTU’s affiliated unions; or
- The parent, sibling, spouse, child, in-law of a member of one of CBTU’s affiliated unions
Selection of Song or Poem
The submissions will be reviewed and assessed by a jury of experts convened by CBTU. The jury’s decision will be final.
The copyrights and publishing rights and all other rights for the winning song or poem will remain with the creator(s); however, CBTU will be granted a perpetual non-exclusive right to use the song/poem for promotional purposes only.
If you have questions, please email them to: email@example.com
Spread the word!
Download our poster (to post at your workplace!) here