May 10, 2016: Land Dedication & Design Unveiling
In 2015, during Canada’s Building Trades Unions’ Annual Conference, we launched a national public art competition to find a design team to build and install the Canadian Building Trades Monument.
In 2016, we introduced the winning sculptor, the monument design, and the stunning site where the Canadian Building Trades Monument will be located at a Land Dedication Ceremony. It was a beautiful Spring day for the presentations and a lineup of passionate speakers addressed the assembly of honoured guests. A sincere thank you to all participants.
At 2017’s Annual Conference, we look forward to unveiling the completed monument!
Speakers, Land Dedication Ceremony (2016) Major’s Hill Park, Ottawa ON
- Bob Blakely, Canadian Operating Officer, CBTU
- Michel Grenier, former Board Member, CBTU
- Albert Dumont, Algonquin Elder and Bricklayer
- The Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change
- Robert Kucheran, Chair, Canadian Executive Board, CBTU
- Brent Booker, Secretary-Treasurer, North America’s Building Trades Unions
- John Greer, Sculptor
- Unveiling of the monument maquette